Monday, January 28, 2013

The Plan...

I started by deciding that I was tired of weighing more than my husband and my friends. I was going to follow my own advice and to start eating more like my dogs. Sounds crazy, right? Wrong. My dogs were eating $2.67 per pound ultra-premium holistic dog food with an ingredients list that sounded like the weekly shopping list at a gourmet health food restaurant.

INGREDIENTS
Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, sweet potato, fresh boneless turkey*, fresh whole eggs*, fresh chicken liver*, fresh boneless lake whitefish*, fresh boneless walleye*, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), organic kelp, pumpkin, chicory root, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

* DELIVERED FRESH, preservative-free and never frozen from local sustainable sources.

My daily menu usually consisted of:
Breakfast - nothing
Lunch (anywhere from 11:30-4pm) - double cheeseburger with mayo, XL fries, and XL diet soda
Dinner (anywhere from 8-10:30pm) -  water, basket of tortilla chips with chili con queso, three cheese enchilada dinner with double helpings of Spanish rice, at least half of a large restaurant desert

I realized that I was easily eating over 3500 calories of starchy and fatty foods every day. I was not exercising ever. And, while working I would barely drink anything, often suffered from stress headaches, was very irritable from when I got to work until lunch-time, and hit a major slump around 3-5pm (didn't finish work till between 7-9:30pm on average).

Since I knew I couldn't change my schedule and wouldn't have much, if any, time for exercise I would have to drastically overhaul my calorie intake and nutritional profile.

FOOD vs. CRAP
I saw this on Pinterest and basically it guides my new eating plan and helps me make better choices.
 - I eat more Fruits and veggies, Organic lean proteins, Omega 3 fatty acids, and Drink water.
 - I eat less Carbonated drinks, Refined sugars, Artificial sweeteners/colors/flavorings, and Processed foods.

Da' RULES
Our "rules" aren't very complicated.
1) We have stopped putting crap in our mouths.
2) We eat 99% less food that comes through our truck windows.
3) We are trying to cook at home as often as possible.
4) When we eat out, we vow to help each other make healthier choices.
5) Reduce our total calorie intake each day and track everything we eat.
6) Follow FOOD vs. CRAP guidelines.
7) Eat many smaller meals and snacks throughout the day (rather than one or two giant meals).
8) Don't drink our calories, instead drink as much water as possible per day.

That's it. It's not that complicated. There's no punishment if we slip up, we just get right back on the plan. We hold each other accountable and are starting out on this weight loss journey together.

"Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly." Patrick Overton

No comments:

Post a Comment